Personal Study Links for DEAR JEFF
Each chapter of DEAR JEFF ends with a Personal Study section that suggests further reading. This page contains links to each of those readings, organized according to the chapters in the book. And remember to give top priority to the scriptural ones.
- Abraham 1 (Focus on verses 2-4, 18-19, and 31. Also, verse 26 has an interesting clue about how ancient Egyptian temples mimicked our temple ceremonies—something Hugh Nibley wrote about.)
- D&C 76 (The prophet Joseph wrote, “It appeared self-evident from what truths were left [in the Bible], that, if God rewarded every one according to the deeds done in the body, the term Heaven, as intended for the Saints’ eternal home, must include more kingdoms than one. Accordingly… while translating St. John’s Gospel, [we] saw the following vision.”)
- Moses 2-4 (the creation, the garden, and the fall)
- President David O. McKay’s Temple Address
- “Invoking The Spirit of the Lord as Council Witness” by David E. Bokovoy
- An Egyptian Endowment by Hugh Nibley (book)
- “Three Facsimiles from the Book of Abraham” by Hugh Nibley (sermon)
- “The Joseph Smith Hypocephalus: Twenty Years Later” by Michael D. Rhodes (sermon)
- A series of 11 short video clips from UCLA Professor of Egyptology Kerry Muhlestein (They’re fun to watch and definitely the most accessible of any of these.)
- D&C 109 (the prayer offered at the dedication of Kirtland Temple in 1836, which, according to the Prophet, was given to him by revelation)
- D&C 132 (the revelation relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant)
- “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” (the official declaration)
- “What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children about the Temple” by Ezra Taft Benson
- “A House of Glory” by Hugh Nibley
This is the full list of sources cited throughout DEAR JEFF:
- Benson, Ezra Taft, "The Law of Chastity"
- Benson, Ezra Taft, “What I Hope You Will Teach Your Children about the Temple”
- Cassler, Valerie Hudson, “The Two Trees”
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism, "Endowment"
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism, "Prayer Circle"
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism, "Salt Lake Temple"
- FairMormon.org, “Facsimile 2”
- Fordham, Michael W., "Do We Have Potential to Become like God?"
- Gladwell, Malcolm, Outliers
- Google Dictionary, "Cult"
- Google Dictionary, "Enthusiasm"
- Google Dictionary, "Hierophany"
- Google Dictionary, "Theophany"
- Hales, Robert D., "The Sacrament, the Temple, and Sacrifice in Service" (see paragraph 18)
- Handbook 2: Administering the Church 20.6.2-3 (anointing with oil)
- Heber, Reginald, "The Son of God Goes Forth to War"
- History of the Church
- Holland, Jeffrey R., "Personal Purity"
- Jewish Encyclopedia, "Anointing"
- LDSChurchTemples.com, "Salt Lake"
- LDS.org, Bible Dictionary, "Abraham, Covenant of"
- LDS.org, Bible Dictionary, "Fall of Adam and Eve"
- LDS.org, Bible Dictionary, "Prayer"
- LDS.org, Bible Dictionary, "Shechinah"
- LDS.org, "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" (official declaration)
- LDS.org, Guide to the Scriptures, "Consecrate, Law of Consecration"
- LDS.org, Hymnal, "Hope of Israel”
- LDS.org, Hymnal, "If You Could Hie to Kolob”
- LDS.org, Hymnal, "Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise"
- LDS.org, Hymnal, "More Holiness Give Me"
- LDS.org, Hymnal, "Nearer, My God, to Thee"
- LDS.org, "Inside the Temple"
- LDS.org, Institute, Pearl of Great Price Student Manual
- LDS.org, Scriptures, Abraham 1 (verses 2-4, 18-19, and 31)
- LDS.org, Scriptures, Articles of Faith: 4
- LDS.org, Scriptures, D&C 76
- LDS.org, Scriptures, D&C 109 (dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple in 1836)
- LDS.org, Scriptures, D&C 132 (revelation relating to the new and everlasting covenant)
- LDS.org, Scriptures, Genesis 28:10-22 (story of Jacob’s Ladder)
- LDS.org, Scriptures, Moses 2-4 (creation, garden, and fall)
- Lee, Harold B., Teachings of Presidents of the Church
- Lewis, C.S., A Grief Observed
- Lewis, C.S., Mere Christianity
- Lewis, C.S., The Four Loves
- Ludlow, Victor L., "Covenants: Our Bond with the Divine"
- Ludlow, Victor L., Principles and Practices of the Restored Gospel
- Maxwell, Neal A., "A Wonderful Flood of Light"
- Moore, Thomas, “The Minstrel Boy"
- McConkie, Bruce R., Mormon Doctrine
- MormonLifeHacker.com, "Are there problem points in temple prep?"
- Nibley, Hugh, "A House of Glory"
- Nibley, Hugh, "Faith of an Observer" (YouTube)
- Nibley, Hugh, "The Meaning of the Temple"
- Packer, Boyd K., The Holy Temple
- Peterson, Daniel, and William J. Hamblin, "Pilgrimage: A Sacred Journey in Search of God"
- “Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple” (official pamphlet)
- Smith, Joseph, Letter from Liberty Jail to Isaac Galland, 22 March 1839
- Smith, Joseph, Nauvoo Temple Sermon, 9 July 1843
- Smith, Joseph, "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith"
- Talmage, James E., "The House of the Lord"
- Temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Official Publication on
- Washburn, J Ballard, "The Temple Is a Family Affair"
- Wasserman, Dale, "Man of La Mancha"
- Wikipedia.org, "Axis Mundi"
- Wikipedia.org, "Mitre"
- Wikipedia.org, "Priestly Tunic"
- Wikipedia.org, "Priestly Undergarments"
- Wikipedia.org, "Hypocephalus"
- Wikipedia.org, "Kaph"
- Wilcox, S. Michael, House of Glory
- Young, Brigham, Discourses of Brigham Young
BROKEN LINKS? The internet is a sea of turbulent waters, and sometimes links get broken. If any of the links above don't work, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll try to fix them. Thanks!